Salkantay Trek 5D/4N the Best Alternative Trail to Machu Picchu
Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu 5Days/4Nights
Day 1 – Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
We will pick you up from the hotel, at 4:30a.m. to start our tour at 5:00 a.m. with a bus trip for 3 hours to Mollepata, an Andean village, where you could have a local breakfast. Also, there you can buy anything you may have forgotten back in town (water, bug spray, rain poncho, etc). Once all last-minute supplies have been purchased and the horsemen have taken the last bags, we will start our trek. Approx. after a 3 and a half hours of hiking, we will reach Sayllapata, where a nice and hot lunch is waiting for us. After the lunch, we
will continue our trek and with another 3-4 hours, we will get our final stop today at Soraypampa, which is at 3500 meters (20.671 feet). We will set up our first campsite at 4000m (12750ft), the highest and coldest campsite of the trip, where we can take in the beautiful landscape of 2 immense snow-capped peaks.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner.
Day 2 – Soraypampa – Challway
We will wake up at 05:30 to have hot breakfast and get ready ourselves for the hardest walk to the highest pass on this trek (4650m/15200ft) located between two huge mountains: Salkantay on the right and Humantay on the left (Salkantay at 6271m/20575ft and Humantay at 4120m/13500ft). At 07:00 am we will start our trekking excursion going upwards.
In the afternoon, after nice lunch, we will go on the way having many occasions to get pleasure from the rich biodiversity that is all around. Like esoteric brushes, the wild orchids and the various medicinal plants that your guide will teach you about. We will cross some aged, and charming, typical villages like Arrayanpata. At the end of the day, we will reach our second campsite Challway (2920 meters above sea level), where we are going to have dinner and spend Salkantay Trek on the night.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 3 : Challway – La Playa Sahuayaco.
We will wake up at 06:00 am, to have breakfast and then start a 50-minute walk to reach Sahuayacos. After a short break, we will start trekking through the upper part of the jungle crossing the Lluskamayo River and a diversity of small brooks. The path is more solid here and you will be able to get pleasure from the warm climate. After
walking for about 6 hours we will reach place known as Playa Sahuayaco (Playa means a beach on Spanish, but it is not a beach); we will enjoy some waterfalls, exotic birds, coffee plantations and even wild fruits. We may even be able to see the well-known, and attractive Peruvian national bird called the “Cock of the Rocks”.
Our third camp we will have in Playa Sahuayaco..
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 4: Sahuayaco- Patallaqta hidroelectric to Aguas Calientes.
This day is very interesting because the trecking until Llaqtapata.
This path up to Llactapata is actually on a segment of an old Inca trail. It leads first through some old villages of coffee and coca plantations, and citrus tree orchards before reaching some beautiful high altitude grasslands and then entering into an old forest near the top. We reach to Lllaqtapata approx. in 3 hours and … across the valley, we see Machu Picchu what a sight!!!.
In about 3-4 hours ,always with views of Machu Picchu, we arrive at Hydroelectric, which is called that way for the large “Hydroelectric” dam nearby. There we will have lunch. After we will then continue to hike along the train tracks, through some beautiful alta selva area, to Aguas Calientes where we should be arriving to in about 2 and half hours. This section is very interesting because it is a trail that was used by the American Professor Hiram Bingham who rediscoverd Machu Picchu after centuries of it being lost.
Upon our arrival to the Aguas Calientes, we will be accommodated to a tourist hostel for the night (included in this package). We will have a final group dinner at a local restaurant at about 7:00p.m.
Optional evening visit to the Hot Springs with entrance fees the US $3.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
We will have breakfast and then, at 05:20 am, we will go to the bus station to catch one of.
the first buses up to the Historical Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. A walking tour of approximately 2 hours will be given by your guide. We will see the main plaza, the Temple of the Condor, the Intihuatana, the mortar room, the temple of three windows and other important points and after you can see the sights of the mystifying city at your leisure.
We will even have some time to climb up to Wayna Picchu. There is a limit of 400 spaces per day, so we highly recommend that you book well in advance. The extra bit of walking would be about 2 hours round trip.
We can set up a meeting time to have lunch down in Aguas Calientes, or if you prefer you can just meet us at the train station 30 minutes before the departure time- make sure that you leave yourself time to get back to your hotel to pick up your thing. When we arrive at Ollantaytambo we will transfer over to a bus that will bring us the rest of the way back to Cusco.
- Pick up from Hotel / Lodging.
- Bus from Cusco to Mollepata.
- Bilingual Official Tour Guide (Shared).
- Box Lunch (2 blocks, 2 bananas, chocolate, biscuit, juice “Frugos” granola bar).
- 1 Mineral water.
- Poncho water.
- Food: 04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 04 dinners.
- Camping equipment: Tent for sleeping 4 people for every 2 people, matras.
- Store room, kitchen, tables, chairs, dishes.
- Horses to carry equipment, food, and 5 KILOS OF BAGGAGE PASSENGER (includes sleeping and mattresses), only 3 days.
- Emergency horse.
- A DWB night hostel in Aguas Calientes (Hot water, Wifi, Lcd, Breakfast).
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Bus down to Aguas Calientes Machu Picchu.
- Tourist Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Bus Ollantaytambo return to Cusco
- First aid kit.
- Oxygen bottle.
- Option vegetarian food no additional cost.
- Canvas bag to carry 5 kilos.
- Doite inflatable mattress.
- Sleeping bag for the first night, the coldest and the highest camping spot. (You can rent us US $ 25.00 per person for three days, marks Nikko – # 10 pen).
- Trekking poles (rent for US $ 20.00 for 3 days even).
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (Optional)
or One Way: US $ 14.00
or Round Trip: US $ 24.00
- Breakfast on the 1st day (it must have taken at your hotel and / or lodging in Cusco)
- Lunch in Aguas Calientes 5th day.
- Hydroelectric train to Aguas Calientes
- Check the hot springs of Santa Teresa (10 Nuevos Soles) and Aguas Calientes (10 soles).
- Extra horse to ride or for any additional backpack.
- Expenses not mentioned.
- International flights from your home country.
- Domestic flights: Lima – Cusco /Cusco – Lima.